Kelvin and Laura's Baby

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Skyping

The kids have just started skyping with their grandparents. Both Kinnon and Ashlynn are so thrilled that they can see their grandparents. Last Sunday, they skyped with 公公奶奶 and in the middle of week they managed to skype with grandma, Auntie Sharon and Titus. I guess they didn't quite have a concept of how physically far they were as Kinnon kept asking them to come over and visit us. Kinnon was also happily showing off his light saber as well. The both of them went on talking for almost an hour each session.

It made me reflect on the wonders of technology and how fortunate this new generation is. I remembered 15 years ago, it would cost me almost $50-$60 to talk to my parents from the US for just an hour. Nowadays you can get calls for almost 2-3cents per minute. It's amazing too the impact of technology on social interactions and bonds.

It's also made me wonder who we can perhaps do more to harness technology to reach out to the elderly, the illiterate, disenfranchised and disconnected. I don't think we do enough and I don't think we have been audacious enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home